If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write. – Martin Luther
That’s it. It’s time to get serious about this writing thing. I mean, I have been, but it’s time to make it happen. I spent this weekend updating the pages here on the blog. You can find my writing portfolio, my acting bio and my graphic design work.
Then you can email me and we’ll discuss a contract.
For now, it’s about getting more traffic to this blog. Maybe you face the same challenge.
Here are a few ideas to get us both started.
1. Publish on a schedule. Personally, my goal is to have at least one post written by me every week day. Maybe on the weekend if I’m inspired.
2. Keep a list of ideas for posts. I’m working my way through Jon Morrow’s Headline Hacks. It’s a great list of headline ideas adaptable for any blog. It gives you 52 headline ideas that you can customize to your particular blog niche. That’s a years worth of content.
3. Know your audience. Or in some cases, develop your audience. Who are you writing for? Face it, most of us are writing for ourselves. There’s nothing wrong with that, but that’s no way to attract a following.
4. Read other blogs. Comment. Engage in discussion with other bloggers. We’re in this together. Let’s share in the success.
5. Don’t be afraid to stand your ground. Your opinions may alienate some readers. Be prepared for that, and don’t fret when they go away.
6. Quote the experts and link when you can. Back up what you’re saying with quotes from others in the business, and provide links to other high ranking websites, because ultimately, that will help you be found.
7. Show up. Regularly. Even if you have to post ahead to keep on schedule when you’re at the beach, or I mean away on business.
8. Find your voice. Everyone has a unique point of view, and a unique way of saying things. Let that come through in your writing.
That’s a good start for now.
I need to get busy.
Oh, there’s just one more thing.
Maybe, just maybe, you need to stop binge watching Dexter.
Image: Rayi Christian W via Unsplash