Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List, providing a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall. The creation of Beloit’s former Public Affairs Director Ron Nief and Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride, authors of The Mindset Lists of American History: From Typewriters to Text Messages, What Ten Generations of Americans Think Is Normal John Wiley and Sons, it was originally created as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references. It quickly became an internationally monitored catalog of the changing worldview of each new college generation. Mindset List websites at themindsetlist.com and Beloit.edu, as well as the Mediasite webcast and their Facebook page receive more than a million visits annually.
Just a few of the items on the list, consider that for the Class of 2016, entering college this fall:
- Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.
- Michael Jackson’s family, not the Kennedys, constitutes “American Royalty.”
- They can’t picture people actually carrying luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
- Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
- And, They have no recollection of when Arianna Huffington was a conservative.
Of course neither do we.
Check out the whole list of 75.